Thursday, April 7, 2011

Listener

I have a rather eclectic taste in music. Some times I am in the mood for honest to goodness country, I am talking Dixie Chicks, other times I want to listen to Boy Sets Fire. I will state that this artist is probably not for everyone.


When I first heard about Listener, I was told it was this guy speaking/singing while banging on a washing machine. I was confused. A few weeks ago half of Listener was playing an "acoustic" house show with some friends, it was promised that there wouldn't be any washing machine. A guy, Dan Smith, got up to do his set. He had a stage presence and personality that I immediately loved. There was something corky and honest about it. He only did his spoken word, no music and no singing. I enjoyed him immensely. As I sat squished in my pastors living room with maybe 25-30 other people, face to face with someone bearing their heart and mind, I couldn't help think that we are all artists. Maybe everyone doesn't like the art we create, maybe we hate it ourselves, but there is magic happening. There are nameless photographers sharing photos with friends, painters sketching trees in the park, and lyricists screaming words in a crowded room on a Sunday night.


Here are the lyrics as I find them impressive, but sometimes hard to know.

You Were A House On Fire


Building Better Bridges


Wooden Heart


Seatbelt Hands


Most Roads Lead To Home


Listener is Dan Smith and Christin Nelson. They are certainly artist in my opinion and if you want more check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment