Friday, March 4, 2011

Diary of a Slogger, Part 2

...Or how to tell Grandma to suck it!

As I stated yesterday, running outside means that inevitably you get passed by other people. While on the Jail Trail, there are cars that pass you, completely forgivable, they are cars on the parkway, come on! Then there are the bikers, excusable, I can bike like three times as far as run. The Bladers, oh 90s, okay they are still on wheels. The super fit He-runners, well clearly. The middle-aged joggers, okay fine they've been running their whole lives. Then it happens, the grandma passes you. And there is nothing you can say to yourself. Nothing. You have a look of disbelief on your face, even though you smiled politely at her as she passed, you are questioning everything you know. Why am I here? What am I doing? Do I even know what running means? Am I able to move my legs in an efficient motion? And you want to crawl home and cry yourself to sleep in a corner, telling yourself "Well, I bet she can't do The Shred!"


This is what happened to me whilst slogging, well not the dramatic part at the end because I am not very emotional. My friend, and much better runner, told me a while ago, when she first started running about being passed by a grandma. I didn't think it was all that big of a deal, I mean we are all different, with different skills and abilities. But being passed by anyone, has the tendency to make you feel inadequate, especially when you are first starting out. I decided I would share some of the things that I tell myself to feel better when this happens.
"I am enjoying the scenery more than them."

"Well at least I have good form."

"They have much longer legs than I do." (note: This only works to provide motivation to those of us who actually have shorter legs than the ones passing.)

"They must have a better playlist than me."

"They must have a worst playlist than me." (note: My current jogging playlist rocks, but unfortunately it sometimes induces what I like to call "dance running", therefore slowing my pace down with awesome dance moves.)

"I am more of a distance runner."

"I am saving my energy for when I have to run from the escaped prisoners." (note: Again, only works on the Jail Trail.)

I find that laughing always takes the pressure off for me. It helps me to re-focus and remember that I am jogging to have fun and feel healthy, not feel bad because grandma already knows these things.

Anybody have any funny or interesting things they tell themselves to keep motivated?

1 comment:

  1. "I'm a better leaner than they are." That's what Claire Danes told me in this one dream I had.

    "I would probably be running that fast too if I had goals in life."

    "Well, my imaginary friends think I'm pretty awesome."

    "Well I can be while standing up" Note this only works if your a male and intimidated by someone with a uterus.

    "I bet they haven't caught all 151 original Pokemon." Only works if you didn't bother with a social life in middle school.

    "Yeah, so what? I drive stick!" Only works if you're awesome!

    "I bet I could be successful too if I applied myself!"

    "A girlfriend? No, I choose to be single. The constant nagging of a woman would weigh me down." This only works before you start crying from loneliness.

    "So you're faster than me. I could smoke your ass in Mario Kart." This only works if they don't get a blue shell.

    "Well, at least my blog posts are witty and full of self reference!" This only works if you were entertained by the above.

    ReplyDelete