Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Diary of A Slogger, issue 6

I had a bad run today. Those ones where you aren't going any farther or faster and yet your body feels like it's doing double time. I am not sure if this happens to everyone, but it happens to me every once in a while and it sucks. Today was not one of the days that motivate me to keep running, it just gives me sympathy for those who say running and exercising sucks.

I always try to think of what I did wrong. Not enough of a warm up? Not enough or the wrong kind of food? I can never really put a finger on what is going on. This weekend we hiked quite a bit and my legs have been a little sore, maybe that has effected their ability. I also hadn't went for a run since Wednesday, I've been trying to run Monday, Wednesday, Friday every week.

I know that for me the trick to make myself keep going is two fold. First, set up a goal, like "you only have to go to the next intersection", once I get there I set up another. Yes it is lying to myself, but it certainly works. Second, I remind myself that the more days I put between this run and my next one, the harder it will be.

Do you ever have "bad runs"? What causes it? What do you do to keep going?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I had the worst run too yesterday!!! It was really bad & I was really hard on myself about it. But I think the problem was way too much coffee & not enough water lately. I'm so glad this is just a normal runner thing & not my personal suckage.

    Keep running, girl!

    ReplyDelete